OLD BOLTONIANS AFC
Members of the Lancashire Amateur League & the Lancashire FA
Turton Football Ground, Tower Street, Chapeltown
A brief history
The club was formed in 1920, and joined the Lancashire Amateur League largely through the efforts of Tom Tyson. He secured the services of Old Boys Bert Lambert, Jack Howarth, Tom Baxendale and two players who later became English Amateur Internationals - Roy Shipperbottom and Donny Davies (who wrote for the Daily Telegraph. Along with Norman Woods they represented the league team and the County team.
Having played at Countess Lane, Little Lever the club spent two years playing at Egerton Cricket Club before moving to the present ground at Turton in 1952. This is the ground that Turton F.C. first played football on, under the Harrow Rules, in 1871 and as far back as 1856/7 before there was a recognised club, matches were played "beneath the shadow of the old church where Turton F.C. later played".
This establishes the ground as the oldest one still in use in England, or for what matter, in the world. We are indebted to ex-Chairman Ian Worsley who spent some considerable time researching before writing an article entitled "The Oldest Existing Football Ground in the World" which he sent to the F.A. and which appears in the book - Lancashire Amateur Football League - Centenary History 1899-1999.
It was through the drive of Christian Phillips Rowlinson at the time that an ex-RAF hut was brought from Padgate in the 1950's and erected by the players to provide changing facilities for over half a century. In late 2012 thanks mainly to the efforts of David Lee, and the support of OBA, the Football Foundation and many kind club donors, the club opened the Lee Pavilion.